Education

Education

In addition to serving patients, TUH functions as a living laboratory for students from Temple University’s Lewis Katz School of Medicine.

  • Temple University’s nursing school was founded at Samaritan Hospital in 1892 and in 1901 the hospital also became the clinical training site of Temple’s new medical school. Soon after, schools of pharmacy and medical technology were established at Samaritan. Although all the schools were eventually reorganized under the auspices of Temple College, some remained housed within the hospital for many years until dedicated buildings could be built for them.
  • Today the hospital runs 21 residency and 18 fellowship training programs that enroll 552 physicians, and remains the chief clinical training site for the Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University.
  • In 1909 our students hailed from as far away as Syria, Romania, Costa Rica, Armenia, India, Sweden, Russia, the British West Indies, and many other countries.
  • Women were accepted to medical school at Temple 12 years before they were accepted by the University of Pennsylvania and 60 years before Jefferson Medical School. Temple graduated its first female African-American physician in 1912— Agnes Berry Montier, MD, who practiced general medicine in Philadelphia until her death in 1961.
  • In 1999, TUH established our educational affiliation with Fox Chase Cancer Center.
  • The world’s leading textbook on pediatrics, the Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, now in its 20th edition, began life at Temple. It was edited by Dr. Waldo Nelson, who chaired the Department of Pediatrics for 24 years. In continuous publication for 75 years, Nelson’s textbook (called  the “green bible”) has been translated into dozens of languages.
  • Harley’s Pediatric Ophthalmology, the world’s first textbook on this subject, now in its sixth edition, was written in 1975 by Dr. Robison Harley, who was Temple University Hospital’s Chief of Ophthalmology from 1974 to 1977.